Private Employee

What to Do in Case of a Work Injury

Employee must REPORT the accident immediately to his or her immediate supervisor regardless of whether or not the employee needs medical treatment. Employee will request GWC-201 Notice of Employee’s Injury/Illness or Death from his or her supervisor. Employee MUST report his or her work related injury IMMEDIATELY.

If employee needs immediate medical treatment, employee must obtain GWC-101 a/b Authorization for Medical Examination and/or Treatment from his or her supervisor. Employee’s supervisor will issue only the first (initial) authorization. All other (subsequent) authorizations will be issued by insurance carrier.

In case of an emergency situation, employee will proceed to the nearest medical center with or without the required form GWC-101A. Employee’s supervisor will follow with a signed form GWC-101A.

Any referrals after this initial treatment must be authorized by insurance carrier.

If employee obtains medical treatment without first requesting from his or her supervisor or insurance carrier, employee may not be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket medical expenses. 22 GCA §9108. Employee SHOULD always obtain or request for authorization from insurance carrier (except initial authorization) before receiving any medical treatment, unless injuries are such that emergency care is required.

Employee should ask for a completed copy of the GWC-Form 101B from the attending physician and submit the copy to insurance carrier and WCC after treatment. Employee may attach the medical report from attending physician to the GWC-Form 101B.

If ANOTHER PERSON, who is neither a co-employee nor employer, is the cause of the accident in which employee sustained injuries, employee MUST file a Form GWC-203 Employee’s Claim for Compensation even if employee decides to file SUIT or recover against the other person or persons. Should employee win the lawsuit, insurance carrier can subrogate against any settlement the employee received for WC benefits that were paid out to the employee.

WARNING: 22 GCA §9132 “Any person who willfully makes any false or misleading statement or representation for the purpose of obtaining any benefit or payment under this Title, or for the purpose of evading liability for any benefit or payment under this Title, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.”